NLC Suspends Planned Protest Against Telecom Tariff Hike – The Reflector Newspaper
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
The Reflector Newspaper
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Sport
  • Crime
  • Others
    • Education
    • Economy
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion & Style
    • Health
    • Interview
    • Love & Relationships
    • Technology
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
The Reflector Newspaper
Home Featured

NLC Suspends Planned Protest Against Telecom Tariff Hike

Victor Okebunmi by Victor Okebunmi
February 3, 2025
in Featured, News
0
NLC Suspends Planned Protest Against Telecom Tariff Hike
0
SHARES
63
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on WhatsAppShare on TelegramSend to Email

The Nigeria Labour Congress has suspended its planned nationwide protest against the recent 50% hike in telecom tariffs approved by the Federal Government.

The labour union announced the protest last week, citing the burden the tariff increase would place on Nigerians.

Related posts

NEITI Backs Ojulari To Deliver Oil Sector Reforms

NEITI Backs Ojulari To Deliver Oil Sector Reforms

August 29, 2025
Edo NDLEA Decorates 7 Deputy Commanders 

Edo NDLEA Decorates 7 Deputy Commanders 

August 29, 2025

However, following a meeting with government representatives at the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation on Monday night, the NLC resolved to halt the demonstration pending further discussions.

Speaking to journalists after the meeting, NLC President, Joe Ajaero, said the government had agreed to set up a larger committee to review the entire tariff structure.

According to him, the committee will be composed of five representatives from both sides and is expected to submit its findings within two weeks.

Ajaero stated, “We emphasized that the NLC is the largest organisation in Africa, and no stakeholder consultation can exclude us and still stand.

“On that basis, they agreed to form a broader committee to ensure a fair and inclusive agreement to look at the entire tariff structure as a model to come out with a realistic and all-inclusive agreement.

“So the committee will be made up of five representatives, from both sides and expected to come out with a result after two weeks.

“That will determine the next line of action and the process of engagement. The symbolic action of submitting the letters tomorrow will be put on hold until the outcome of such a committee.

“The outcome of such a committee is what will determine our next line of action in terms of protest, in terms of boycott, and in terms of even withdrawal of services, which are the three issues we put online.”

He added that the union’s next steps, including protests, boycotts, or service withdrawals, would depend on the outcome of the committee’s work.

While the planned symbolic submission of protest letters has been put on hold, Ajaero noted that the NLC remains concerned about other pressing economic issues, including electricity tariffs and burdensome taxes on workers.

*“We have also expressed our displeasure over the high electricity tariff and the unbearable tax regime, which is killing workers. These remain unresolved issues that must be addressed,” he said.

The Reflector Newspaper's newsletters cover a variety of topics, from daily news to lifestyle content, markets info to medical news. Subscribe to get the latest information.

Unsubscribe
Previous Post

FG Approves N20bn For Customs CNG Vehicles, Remote Bases, Officers’ Insurance

Next Post

Governor Uba Sani Dismisses Rift With El-Rufai

Next Post
Governor Uba Sani Dismisses Rift With El-Rufai

Governor Uba Sani Dismisses Rift With El-Rufai

RECOMMENDED NEWS

Kunle Afolayan Shares Sneak Peek Of New Film Starring Wizkid

Kunle Afolayan Shares Sneak Peek Of New Film Starring Wizkid

2 years ago
JUST IN: APC Sets Chairmanship Nomination Fee at N5 Million, Councillorship at N1 Million in Lagos

Lagos APC Sets Up Appeal Committee Over LG Primary Disputes

4 months ago
NAFDAC DG Raises Alarm Over Death Threats

NAFDAC DG Raises Alarm Over Death Threats

6 months ago
 Aiyedatiwa Rewards Super Falcons Star Oluwatosin Demehin with ₦30 Million, Apartment for WAFCON Heroics

 Aiyedatiwa Rewards Super Falcons Star Oluwatosin Demehin with ₦30 Million, Apartment for WAFCON Heroics

3 weeks ago

FOLLOW US

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Style
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Health
  • Interview
  • Love & Relationships
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Uncategorized

BROWSE BY TOPICS

#EndBadGovernance protest 2027 Elections ADC Ademola Adeleke Akpabio Alaafin Of Oyo APC Atiku Bola Tinubu Buhari By-Elections CBEX Coalition Dangote Refinery Defection Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Economic Hardship EFCC Emergency Rule Federal Government of Nigeria Fubara Fuel Price Fuel Price Hike Gunmen INEC JAMB Natasha Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) Nnamdi Kanu NNPC NNPCL NYSC Olubadan PDP Peter Obi President Ahmed Bola Tinubu Rivers Administrator Rivers Assembly Rivers Crisis Senate Tinubu UTME VeryDarkMan WAEC Wike

POPULAR NEWS

  • Congo’s President Daughter’s Bedroom Surfaces Online

    Congo’s President Daughter’s Bedroom Surfaces Online

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Economy Bleeds As Naira Hits Record Low With N72.58 Depreiciation Against Dollar

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Old Naira Notes Remain Valid – CBN

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Gospel Actress, Flora Of Abattoir Movie Series Is Dead

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: FCT Minister Wike Leads Eid-El-Fitr Homage To President Tinubu Amid Death Rumors

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
The Reflector Newspaper

Our mission at The Reflector Newspaper is to cultivate a dynamic digital space where truth, integrity, and diversity thrive.

Follow us on social media:

Recent News

  • NEITI Backs Ojulari To Deliver Oil Sector Reforms
  • Edo NDLEA Decorates 7 Deputy Commanders 
  • Delta Deputy Speaker Criticizes Oil Firms For Ignoring Meeting
  • Former Super Eagles Striker Ujah Retires From Football

Category

  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Style
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Health
  • Interview
  • Love & Relationships
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Uncategorized

Recent News

NEITI Backs Ojulari To Deliver Oil Sector Reforms

NEITI Backs Ojulari To Deliver Oil Sector Reforms

August 29, 2025
Edo NDLEA Decorates 7 Deputy Commanders 

Edo NDLEA Decorates 7 Deputy Commanders 

August 29, 2025
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

Copyright © 2024 The Reflector Newspaper. Website designed by Mavens Designs.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Sport
  • Crime
  • Others
    • Education
    • Economy
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion & Style
    • Health
    • Interview
    • Love & Relationships
    • Technology

Copyright © 2024 The Reflector Newspaper. Website designed by Mavens Designs.

Verified by MonsterInsights