An Islamic cleric, AbdulLateef Sanusi, was arraigned before a Magistrate Court sitting in Osogbo, the capital of Osun State on Monday, over an alleged fraud.
The Prosecutor, Duro Adekunle informed the court that the accused sometime in 2011 at Ostrich Bakery Olonkoro, Osogbo defrauded one Alhaja Ejide Salamat to the tune of N750,000.
According to him, the accused collected the sum under a false pretence of securing visa and ticket to Saudi Arabia for her.
Adekunle said that the offences committed by the accused are contrary to sections 418, 381(1) and punishable under sections 419, 390(9) of the Criminal Code, Cap 34,Volume. II, Laws of Osun State of Nigeria 2002.
Meanwhile, Sanusi pleaded not guilty to charges preferred against him, while his Counsel, Barrister Nagite Okobe applied for his bail in the most liberal terms.
Meanwhile, the Magistrate, Fatimah Sodamade granted the accused bail of N500,000 with one surety and adjourned the matter to 19th of October for hearing.
The Lagos State Police Command Federal Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS) has arrested one Ismaila Adeyemi , 49, for allegedly killing the 2007 winner of the Gulder Ultimate Search, Hector Jobateh.
Hector was shot dead at his Oko-Oba residence, new Oko-Oba in Agege area of the state on Sept. 4 shortly after he picked a sibling from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja.
According to a statement signed by the command’s Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Olarinde Famous-Cole, the suspect was arrested after weeks of manhunt.
“The suspect who was arrested at Gas line, Ominiyi in Ijoko area of Ogun state confessed to the crime and other numerous crimes while other members of his gang have been arrested.
“The suspects would be charged to court after investigation is concluded.
“The command wishes to restate its commitment in partnership with members of the public and urge them to always come forward with useful information that would assist the police in discharging their duties,” Famous-Cole said.
In another development, the police have also arrested eight members of a notorious cult group terrorising the residents of Lagos Island.
The PPRO said:“At about 6:30 pm on Sept. 17, the command received a distress call from residents in the area that unknown hoodlums were engaging themselves and parading dangerous weapons at Evans street Lagos Island.
“Upon the information received, police operatives from the command trailed the suspects to their hideout at Federation Hotel located at Andrew street Lagos Island.
“Eight suspects were arrested and useful information of one Rasak Olalekan Kareem a.k.a Falapa; 25 who is believed to be the gang leader of the ‘Eye’ cult was obtained.
“The Lagos state police command is hereby using this medium to declare Rasak Olalekan Kareem aka Falapa wanted and if seen anywhere, he should be apprehended and handed over to the nearest police station.
‘’Meanwhile, all suspects arrested so far would soon be charged to court”, the spokesman said.
The command, however, appealed to the public to provide the police with useful information about other cultists on the Island. (NAN)
Gov Nyesom Ezenwo Wike of Rivers State has accused the Nigeria Police of masterminding kidnappings, armed robberies and other crimes in the state.
He specifically accused men of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), headed by Mr. Akin Fakorede, of being behind most of the crimes in the state.
Briefing newsmen at Government House, Port Harcourt, yesterday, the governor, who had earlier called for the removal of the SARS commander immediately after the re-run elections in the state over alleged electoral fraud, said the intention was to create an impression of insecurity in the state.
According to him, the SARS commander was planted in the state to sabotage the security architecture of the state and create an atmosphere of fear.
He said his allegation was further confirmed by the recent discovery by the Inspector General of Police X-Squad, Abuja, recently deployed to the state.
According to him, the IG’s squad bust the attempted kidnap of one Azumana Ifeanyi at GRA, Port Harcourt, on September 11, 2017, adding that those behind the kidnap later turned out to be SARS operatives.
Showing a document, believed to be signal from the IG’s office, Abuja, the governor disclosed how the squad received a distress call about the kidnap of Mr. Ifeanyi and immediately swung into action.
He said the SARS operatives had compelled the victim to take them to a Fidelity Bank branch, where he was forced to withdraw the sum of N500,000 as ransom, using the ATM.
The victim’s brother was said to have alerted a member of IG’s squad, who moved to the scene and engaged the SARS operatives in a shootout.
During the gun duel, one of the SARS operatives, identified by the governor as one of those captured in the video he released earlier, accusing the police of compromise during the 2015 elections, was killed.
According to the governor, the victim’s brother, who alerted the IG’s squad was shot dead by SARS operatives, while Inspector Justice Nyeche, who led the IGP’s team was injured during the gun battle.
He said the official police signal had the title: “Police Wireless Message” and with Reference Number DT0: 121030/09/2017 —NIGENPOL-X-FHQ ABUJA TO-INGENPOL SEC ABUJA.
Governor Wike said: “Most of the kidnappings and armed robberies, taking place in this state are carried out by men of SARS. They use exhibit vehicles to operate. As the Chief Security Officer of the state, you complain, but they choose to play politics with crime.
“They fight crime in some states, but refuse to fight crime in Rivers State. We are done with the elections, but they are using SARS to create insecurity in the state.
“As I speak with you, they will deny. But the SARS operative, who was killed was among those who raided the Rivers East Senatorial District Collation Centre. This man can be identified in the video, as one of those who invaded the Collation Centre with Fakorede.”
No fewer than 20 persons were killed in a night attack by suspected gunmen at Ancha Village of Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.
A resident of the area told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the attack took place in the late hours of Thursday.
The source, who preferred anonymity, also told NAN that the attack left scores severely injured.
The Spokesperson of the Plateau Police Command, ASP Terna Tyopev, confirmed the attack but could not give details.
“Yes, we are aware of the attack, but we don’t have the details now.
“We are on our way to the scene of the attack to get first hand information on the situation, ‘” he said.
Mr Stephen Akpata. a Nigerian who used to live in Australia has been arrested by the police for allegedly strangling his new wife Onyinye Eze, Bayelsa Commissioner of Police Mr Asuquo Amba has said.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) gathered that the 33 year-old victim was an employee of Globacom Nigeria Limited.
Delta state born Akpata, popularly called Bishop, who claimed in a statement that he was 40 years old, allegedly on August 16, 2017 killed the woman in her Yenagoa residence. Police doubted Akpata’s age as he also claimed that he had spent 27 years in Australia, meaning that he went there when he was 13 years-old.
The Police Commissioner said Akpata murdered his wife by strangling her with the cable of an electric iron. He then also stabbed her with a knife.
The Police Chief said the incident became known when one of Onyinye’s colleagues, Moses Awo, reported at Ekeki Police Division in Yenagoa that Onyinye did not report for work as expected.
According to Amba, Awo had reportedly told the police that when he and another colleague went to Onyinye’s residence in Kpansia area of Yenagoa, they discovered that the apartment was locked. They also found that the television set in her room was working.
Some Policemen from Ekeki Police Division in Yenagoa went to the deceased’s apartment and forced her door open. They found Onyinye dead in a pool of her blood.
According to Bayelsa Police Commissioner Akpata was the prime suspect in the murder.
He was arrested by police in Badagry, Lagos State, after about two weeks on his trail.
Amba said the exhibits recovered at the scene of crime were a knicker; a pair of canvas shoes, one damaged electric iron, one jean jacket, one pen knife, one pink singlet, a Nokia mobile phone and a damaged wristwatch.
He said the exhibits were stained with blood.
The Police chief said the body of the victim was removed and deposited at the morgue of the Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa, for autopsy.
Narrating how the suspect was arrested, Amba said that discreet investigations revealed that the suspect absconded to Ghana after allegedly committing the murder in Yenagoa.
The commissioner, who said the suspect returned to Badagry, Lagos a few days after, added that Akpata was tracked and arrested in Badagry on September 1 and brought to Bayelsa the same day.
”When our operatives went into the apartment of the deceased, we meticulously searched the environment and we saw a three-quarter knicker that was well hidden, tucked somewhere in the room that one would not suspect that something was hidden there.
”We discovered there was a blood stain on the knicker. By this time, we tried to find out who was with the lady because we knew that they had just contracted a registry marriage.
“We got in touch with Akpata who is the purported husband. He gave us the impression that he was out of town, implying that he travelled out of town before the incident.
”So, we were still communicating with him, at least to break the news to him that his purported wife was dead. He told us he was on his way back and this took us some days.
“As we were communicating with him, he was just giving us the impression that he was coming back, not knowing that he was plotting his own escape.
”We found out that prior to that time of her murder, the suspect had spent so much money on the lady and they were moving from one hotel to another.
”Still, we were playing along with him to enable him to come to us. But since he said he was in Lagos, we suspected that Ghana or Republic of Benin would be a likely point of escape.
“We got in touch with the embassies there and the Ghanaian Embassy was on the alert. From our radar, we found out that he slept in Ghana.
“He escaped back to Badagry in Lagos. He did not know we were still following him up. We got in touch with the police in Badagry. Eventually he was arrested at the Badagry border. So, we brought him back.” Amba said.
Amba added that the police command got vital information on him, particularly on his Facebook page where they saw many pictures of him with his murdered wife during their court marriage.
He assured that the suspect would be charged to court while the case would be diligently prosecuted as soon as investigations were concluded.
A 20yr old woman Ajoke Owolabi ‘f’ has been arrested by men of Ogun State Police Command for abducting a 7yr old girl Racheal Olorunshola ‘f’ for period of 19 months.
The little girl was abducted 19months ago while returning from school and the parents has been looking for her since then but suddenly brought home by a good Samaritan early August this year. Luck however ran against the abductor on the 29th of August when the little girl was playing in front of her parents’ house at Igbore and the suspect was passing by.
The victim raised alarm, pointing at the woman as the person who abducted her. The suspect was promptly arrested, but denied ever knowing the girl. But the girl quickly mentioned her name as aunty Ajoke and when she was searched, her name was seen conspicuously written on her body. It was then she confessed to the commission of the offence.
She revealed further that, the little girl was taken to Oshodi in Lagos where she was kept for 19 months. She stated further that she came to attend a party in Abeokuta and kept the girl in a room from where she escaped. She passed through the girl’s parent’s house unknown to her that the girl was there on that fateful day when she was arrested.
Meanwhile the Commissioner of Police Cp Ahmed Iliyasu has ordered the immediate transfer of the suspect to Anti Kidnapping/Cultist Unit of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department for further investigation and possible prosecution.
The Police Command in Osun on Tuesday said it arrested three male suspects, with two human heads and hands in the state.
The Commissioner of Police, Mr Fimihan Adeoye, told newsmen in Osogbo that the suspects were arrested on Aug. 29 during a police stop and search operation.
“On Aug. 29 at about 1;02 p.m, a police patrol team on a stop and search operation on Ogbomosho/Oyo Road, at Agboro Area, stopped a motorcycle with two persons on it.
“The persons on the motorcycle were searched and two severed human hands with gloves and a human head were found with them, and they were promptly arrested,” he said
Adeoye said in a similar case, on the same date at about 11:30 a.m, at Oba’s compound in Moro, Ipetumodu, one Adeniyi Adeyeye was also arrested with a human skull in his possession.
He said detectives attached to the Ipetumodu Divisional Headquarters arrested the suspect and transfered him to Osogbo State Criminal Investigation Department.
He said the skull found with the suspect was suspected to have been exhumed from a grave and that investigation was still ongoing on the matter.
Adeoye, however, said all the suspects would be charged to court at the conclusion of investigation.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Lagos zonal office, has arrested seven National Diploma (ND) students of the Moshood Abiola Polytechnic (MAPOLY), Abeokuta, Ogun State for alleged offences bordering on conspiracy, obtaining money under false pretences and possession of forged documents.
The suspects- Adesina Olalekan, Makinde Noheem, Toheeb Ogunowo, Somotun Olusola, Somotun Sodiq, Tajudeen Hafeez Bolaji and Kareem Olaseni- are studying various courses in the institution.
They were arrested alongside Iyun Ifeoluwa, Odusanwo Ibrahim, Obanijesu Opeyemi Soneye, Azeez Olayinka, Babatunde Ajala, Ojejimi Ademola, Aderowunmi Ayomide and Oluokun Oluwaseun by operatives of the Commission within Abeokuta and its environs on August 17, 2016, following a petition received by the Commission about their activities.
The suspects, who were said to be living flamboyantly, were alleged to be involved in internet scam, forgery of financial instruments and lottery scam, among others.
One of the suspects, Olaseni, a 21-year-old Business Administration student, was said to have created a Facebook account with the name Dean Robert, with which he interacted with his victims.
In his statement, Olaseni gave a blow-by-blow revelation of his modus operandi, saying, “I tell them (his victims) that they have won Facebook Lottery. I have people who receive the money sent by the victims. Then, the money is remitted into my personal accounts domiciled in GTBank and Skye Bank.”
A number of items, including laptops, forged documents, were recovered from the suspects during their arrests.
The suspects will be charged to court after investigations are concluded.
Suspected kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, a.k.a Evans and five others were on Wednesday hauled up before an Ikeja High Court in Lagos.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Evans was arraigned alongside Uche Amadi, Ogechi Uchechukwu, Okwuchukwu Nwachukwy, Chilaka Ifeanyi and Victor Aduba on a two-count charge of conspiracy and kidnapping.
Evans, Amadi and Nwachukwu pleaded guilty to the charges while Uchechukwu, the only female defendant, Ifeanyi and Aduba pleaded innocence of the offencest of the charges.
According to the prosecution led by Mr Adeniji Kazeem, the Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Evans and his accomplices committed the offence of conspiracy at 7.45 p.m. on Feb. 14 on Obokun Street, Ilupeju, Lagos.
The prosecution said the defendants between Feb. 14 and April 12 on Obokun Street, Ilupeju, while armed with guns and other dangerous weapons , captured and detained Mr Duru Donatius.
According to Kazeem, the defendants collected a ransom of 223,000 euros for the release of Donatius.
After the charges were read to them, Kazeem, requested for the remand of the defendants.
“Following this arraignment, we will like to apply for the defendants to be remanded in custody and obtain trial dates for the ones that have pleaded not guilty.
“While for those that have pleaded guilty, we will like to lay out our statement of facts following which Your Lordship will adjourn for sentencing,” Kazeem said.
Mr Olukoya Ogungbeje, counsel to Evans, Amadi, Uchechukwu, Ifeanyi and Aduba told the court that he and his team had not got the opportunity to “confer” with his clients.
“With respect to the application from the learned Attorney-General, we shall not be opposing same.
“However, the defence team just had the opportunity of meeting our clients this morning in court for the first time, we were just served with documents in the open court this morning.
“All the defendants have since been in the custody of the Police and we have not had the opportunity of conferring with them regarding the offences which are capital in nature,” Ogungbeje said.
The vacation judge, Justice Hakeem Oshodi asked the Attorney-General for his choice of prison for the defendants to be remanded.
“Maximum Kirikiri Prisons, My Lord,”Kazeem replied.
Remanding Evans and his alleged accomplices, Oshodi said:“ The first, second, fourth, fifth and sixth defendants shall be remanded in the Kirikiri Maximum Security Prisons.
`While the third defendant shall be remanded in the female wing of the Kirikiri Prison,”
“This case is adjourned to Oct. 19 for trial.”
Boko Haram militants sprayed a village in remote Cameroon with automatic fire, killing 15 people and kidnapping eight others in an overnight raid near the Nigerian border, several officials said on Friday.
The attackers burned down around 30 houses in Gakara village, just outside the town of Kolofata, which has been a frequent target of suicide bombings by the Islamist group.
A government source on the ground said that 15 people had been killed, all shot dead except one who was burned alive, while another 30 had suffered bullet wounds. The mayor of Kolofata and a senior military source confirmed that an attack had taken place but did not know the death toll.
Boko Haram attacks have killed more than 20,000 people and displaced 2.7 million during the group’s eight-year insurgency to carve out an Islamic caliphate in the Lake Chad region.
“The attack happened around midnight. The Boko Haram assailants arrived. They set 32 houses on fire ... killed, pillaged, and traumatised the population,” said a district official, who asked not to be named because he was not authorised to speak.
Many people fled the village for a camp near Kolofata that houses thousands displaced by Boko Haram violence, he said.