Sowore To Face Criminal Charges In Court – Police – The Reflector Newspaper
Saturday, August 30, 2025
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
The Reflector Newspaper
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Sport
  • Crime
  • Others
    • Education
    • Economy
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion & Style
    • Health
    • Interview
    • Love & Relationships
    • Technology
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
The Reflector Newspaper
Home Featured

Sowore To Face Criminal Charges In Court – Police

Ifeanyi Uzoechiena by Ifeanyi Uzoechiena
August 9, 2025
in Featured, News
0
Sowore To Face Criminal Charges In Court – Police
0
SHARES
12
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on WhatsAppShare on TelegramSend to Email

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) on Saturday said charges against human rights activist and 2023 presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC) Omoyele Sowore are criminal.

NPF said Sowore will soon face them in a competent court.

Related posts

2027: Why Jonathan Should Not Contest — Shehu Sani

Jonathan Consulting, Not Out Of 2027 Race — Brother

August 30, 2025
Tinubu-Shettima Campaign Coordinator In Zamfara Resigns

Tinubu-Shettima Campaign Coordinator In Zamfara Resigns

August 30, 2025

Police said he was arrested based on credible, corroborated allegations involving criminal offences such as forgery, cyberstalking, and other infractions currently under active investigation.

The arrest, the police said, was effected in full compliance with extant legal provisions, and with strict adherence to constitutional safeguards, due process, and the rights of the suspect.

The police also denied allegations of torturing Sowore following his recent arrest in Abuja.

According to a statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Olumuyiwa Adejobi, the police emphasized that Sowore was granted bail within the 48-hour constitutional limit as stipulated in Section 35(4) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended).

Adejobi said Sowore had been informed of the charges against him and was expected to appear before a competent court in the coming days.

Responding to viral images of Sowore wearing a bandage on his arm, the police described the narrative of torture as “false and grossly misleading.”

The NPF said the bandage was part of Sowore’s belongings before his arrest, and was not a result of any injury sustained in police custody.

Adejobi said; “To be clear, Mr. Sowore was released on bail well within the 48-hour constitutional window… He is fully aware of the nature of the allegations against him.

“Equally false is the narrative suggesting that Mr. Sowore was tortured or subjected to any form of inhuman or degrading treatment while in custody”.

The Police claimed that two separate medical examinations were offered to Mr. Sowore on August 7 and 8, conducted by teams led by the Medical Director of Muhammadu Buhari Police Hospital and the Force Medical Officer, respectively.

Adejobi said both offers were reportedly declined by the activist.

“The record must show that the opportunity for independent medical verification was twice provided and twice rejected,” the Police added.

The Force further stated that his continued detention was backed by a valid remand order from a court of competent jurisdiction, and warned against what it described as “sensationalism” by some civil society groups and media actors.

He said; “The Nigeria Police Force reaffirms its unwavering commitment to the protection of human rights, respect for the rule of law, and the pursuit of justice without fear or favour. No individual regardless of their status, influence, or social media reach is above the law”.

Adejobi said the Police will provide further updates as investigations continue.

 

The Nation

Tags: Sowore

The Reflector Newspaper's newsletters cover a variety of topics, from daily news to lifestyle content, markets info to medical news. Subscribe to get the latest information.

Unsubscribe
Previous Post

Lagos Varsity Orders Staff To Resume Work On Monday

Next Post

NDLEA Nabs Wanted Prophet For Drug Trafficking In Lagos

Next Post
NDLEA Nabs Wanted Prophet For Drug Trafficking In Lagos

NDLEA Nabs Wanted Prophet For Drug Trafficking In Lagos

RECOMMENDED NEWS

No Tribal Discrimination In Niger- Bago’s Adviser

No Tribal Discrimination In Niger- Bago’s Adviser

2 years ago

Weep No More, Uchendu Consoles Gov. Wike

8 years ago
I Don’t See Divorce From My Ex-Husbands As Failure – Funke Akindele

I Don’t See Divorce From My Ex-Husbands As Failure – Funke Akindele

2 years ago
Mass Protests Will Multiply Pains Of Nigerians, Hurt Economy More

“Planned Protest: An Appeal For Restraint, Patience And Patriotism” – Defunct APC Presidential Campaign Council

1 year ago

FOLLOW US

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Style
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Health
  • Interview
  • Love & Relationships
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Uncategorized

BROWSE BY TOPICS

#EndBadGovernance protest 2027 Elections ADC Ademola Adeleke Akpabio Alaafin Of Oyo APC Atiku Bola Tinubu Buhari By-Elections CBEX Coalition Dangote Refinery Defection Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Economic Hardship EFCC Emergency Rule Federal Government of Nigeria Fubara Fuel Price Fuel Price Hike Goodluck Jonathan Gunmen INEC JAMB Natasha Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) Nnamdi Kanu NNPC NNPCL Olubadan PDP Peter Obi President Ahmed Bola Tinubu Rivers Administrator Rivers Assembly Rivers Crisis Senate Tinubu UTME VeryDarkMan WAEC Wike

POPULAR NEWS

  • Congo’s President Daughter’s Bedroom Surfaces Online

    Congo’s President Daughter’s Bedroom Surfaces Online

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Economy Bleeds As Naira Hits Record Low With N72.58 Depreiciation Against Dollar

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Old Naira Notes Remain Valid – CBN

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Gospel Actress, Flora Of Abattoir Movie Series Is Dead

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: FCT Minister Wike Leads Eid-El-Fitr Homage To President Tinubu Amid Death Rumors

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
The Reflector Newspaper

Our mission at The Reflector Newspaper is to cultivate a dynamic digital space where truth, integrity, and diversity thrive.

Follow us on social media:

Recent News

  • Jonathan Consulting, Not Out Of 2027 Race — Brother
  • Tinubu-Shettima Campaign Coordinator In Zamfara Resigns
  • Abusive Marriage: Lagos Records 8,692 Domestic Violence Cases
  • Varsity Profs Demand N2.5m Salary

Category

  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Style
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Health
  • Interview
  • Love & Relationships
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Uncategorized

Recent News

2027: Why Jonathan Should Not Contest — Shehu Sani

Jonathan Consulting, Not Out Of 2027 Race — Brother

August 30, 2025
Tinubu-Shettima Campaign Coordinator In Zamfara Resigns

Tinubu-Shettima Campaign Coordinator In Zamfara Resigns

August 30, 2025
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

Copyright © 2024 The Reflector Newspaper. Website designed by Mavens Designs.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Sport
  • Crime
  • Others
    • Education
    • Economy
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion & Style
    • Health
    • Interview
    • Love & Relationships
    • Technology

Copyright © 2024 The Reflector Newspaper. Website designed by Mavens Designs.

Verified by MonsterInsights