The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has cleared more than 1,000 shacks and illegal structures obstructing a major road corridor in Karsana, near Bunkoro District, Gwarinpa.
Director of Development Control, Muktar Galadima, confirmed this on Monday during a citywide sanitation exercise carried out by the FCTA joint task force.
He explained that the demolition targeted illegal squatters and persons described as of “questionable character,” stressing that indigenous homes were deliberately spared.
“Today’s exercise is along the proposed Ring Road 3 corridor at the intersection of N16 and RR3, where we have Map Global Estate. You can see the shanties, squatters, and people of questionable character. As part of the citywide sanitation to enhance security, we are continuing the operation as planned,” Galadima said.
Most of the demolished structures, he noted, were temporary shelters built with wood and other weak materials.
“So far, we’ve cleared more than 1,000 shanties, and we’re still progressing. The entire road stretch is about 2 kilometres, filled with similar illegal structures,” he added.
He further explained that although the RR3 project had not yet been awarded, construction was ongoing along the N16 corridor. The Development Control chief also said his department was in touch with the Department of Resettlement and Compensation, which identified some indigenous communities along the route.