Supporters of suspended Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, say the countdown to his expected return on September 18 has begun, barely one month before the expiration of the six-month emergency rule in the state.
The governor’s media aide, Jerry Omatsogunwa, told Punch that residents were eager to see him resume office and revive stalled projects.
“Expectations for the governor’s return are very high. He had been doing wonderfully well as head of the Rivers State Government. Several projects were ongoing, including the multi-billion-naira Port Harcourt Ring Road, which cuts across about six local government areas. The expectation is that these projects will be revived immediately so they don’t suffer setbacks,” Omatsogunwa said.
He listed the Ring Road, the Omoku–Elele Road, and the Trans-Kalabari Road among projects that supporters expect the governor to fast-track once he returns. “From Monday, August 18, the countdown for the return of the most loved governor in Rivers State will begin,” he added.
President Bola Tinubu suspended Fubara, his deputy, and members of the Rivers State House of Assembly on March 18, 2025, following a prolonged political crisis with his predecessor, Nyesom Wike, and declared a state of emergency in the state.
Retired Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas was appointed Sole Administrator to restore order. Five months into the assignment, Ibas has maintained that he will vacate office once the emergency rule expires.
Through his media aide, Hector Igbikiowubo, the administrator explained that he had been touring project sites to ensure contractors remained on track. He pointed to progress on the new State House of Assembly complex and assured that funding for major works was ongoing.
“We are firmly committed to exiting office, which is why the National Assembly gave approval for RSIEC to proceed with the local government elections to restore democracy at that level,” Ibas said.