FG Arrests Kuje Prison Break Masterminds, Top Ansaru Terrorist Leaders – The Reflector Newspaper
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
The Reflector Newspaper
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Sport
  • Crime
  • Others
    • Education
    • Economy
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion & Style
    • Health
    • Interview
    • Love & Relationships
    • Technology
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
The Reflector Newspaper
Home Crime

FG Arrests Kuje Prison Break Masterminds, Top Ansaru Terrorist Leaders

Ifeanyi Uzoechiena by Ifeanyi Uzoechiena
August 16, 2025
in Crime, Featured
0
FG Arrests Kuje Prison Break Masterminds, Top Ansaru Terrorist Leaders
0
SHARES
155
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on WhatsAppShare on TelegramSend to Email

The Federal Government on Saturday announced the arrest of two top leaders of Jama’atu Ansarul Muslimina fi-Biladis Sudan, an Al-Qaeda affiliate in Nigeria, following a months-long counter-terrorism operation.

The National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, disclosed this at a press briefing held at the Office of the National Security Adviser in Abuja.

Related posts

Obi Faults FG Over Hike In International Passport Fees

Obi Faults FG Over Hike In International Passport Fees

August 29, 2025
BREAKING: New Minimum Wage Payment Begins From July 29 – FG

NLC Demands N150,000 Minimum Wage For Lagos Workers

August 29, 2025

Ribadu said the intelligence-led operation was carried out between May and July 2025 in collaboration with security and intelligence agencies.

Those arrested are Mahmud Muhammad Usman, also known as Abu Bara’a, Abbas or Mukhtar, identified as the self-styled Emir of Ansaru, and his deputy, Mahmud al-Nigeri, also known as Mallam Mamuda.

According to Ribadu, Abu Bara coordinated terrorist sleeper cells across Nigeria and masterminded high-profile kidnappings and armed robberies to finance terrorism.

He added that his deputy, Mamuda, led the “Mahmudawa” cell around Kainji National Park and trained in Libya between 2013 and 2015 under foreign jihadist instructors.

Ribadu said, “The targeted operation, which was conducted between May and July 2025, led to the capture of two top ANSARU leaders who have been responsible for masterminding several terrorist attacks against Nigeria over the past years. The first is Mahmud Muhammad Usman (aka Abu Bara’a/Abbas/Mukhtar), the self-styled Emir of ANSARU.

“He is the coordinator of various terrorist sleeper cells across Nigeria. He is also the mastermind of several high-profile kidnappings and armed robberies used to finance terrorism over the years.

“The second is Mahmud al-Nigeri (aka Mallam Mamuda), Abu Bara’s proclaimed Chief of Staff and Deputy. He is the leader of the so-called “Mahmudawa” cell hiding out in and around the Kainji National Park, straddling Niger and Kwara States up to the Benin Republic. Mamuda trained in Libya between 2013 and 2015 under foreign jihadist instructors from Egypt, Tunisia, and Algeria, specialising in weapons handling and IED fabrication.”

The NSA said the two men had been on Nigeria’s most-wanted list for years and were also internationally wanted.

According to him, the suspects were responsible for attacks including the 2022 Kuje prison break, the attack on Niger’s uranium facility, the 2013 abduction of French engineer Francis Collomp, and the 2019 kidnapping of Alhaji Musa Umar Uba, Magajin Garin Daura.

“They were also behind the abduction of the Emir of Wawa and they maintain active links with terrorist groups across the Maghreb, particularly in Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso. d The two men, who are wanted internationally, are currently in custody, ” Ribadu added.

The NSA stated that their capture dismantled Ansaru’s central command structure and marked a significant achievement in Nigeria’s fight against terrorism.

He added that security forces recovered materials and digital evidence during the operation, which are undergoing forensic analysis.

“This strike has effectively dismantled its central command while paving the path for the complete annihilation of the group. 8. Let me use this opportunity to inform the public that, in the course of the operation, our security forces captured and recovered valuable actionable intelligence.

“These include a cache of materials and digital evidence which are all now undergoing forensic analysis. The findings from the analysis are expected to support our ongoing efforts to exploit this success, bring them to justice, and completely bring them to justice, and completely annihilate the remnants of ANSARU networks and disrupt their foreign collaborators,” the NSA said.

Ribadu also called on citizens to remain vigilant and provide timely information to authorities.

 

The Punch

Tags: Ansarul Terrorist Group

The Reflector Newspaper's newsletters cover a variety of topics, from daily news to lifestyle content, markets info to medical news. Subscribe to get the latest information.

Unsubscribe
Previous Post

Abure Insists INEC Still Recognizes Him As LP National Chairman

Next Post

Refinery Fraud: EFCC Recovers Billions As Ex-NNPCL Officials Face Prosecution

Next Post
Desist From Using Unauthorized Kits, EFCC Warns Skit Makers, Others

Refinery Fraud: EFCC Recovers Billions As Ex-NNPCL Officials Face Prosecution

RECOMMENDED NEWS

APC Celebrates Sen. Uchendu’s Victory, Tags Amaechi ‘Lion of Niger Delta Politics’

8 years ago
“An Advocate Of Good Governance,” Tinubu Felicitates Obasanjo At 88

Tinubu’s Two-year Record Surpasses PDP’s Performance Under Obasanjo — Presidency

3 weeks ago
Obasanjo Slams Lagos-Calabar Highway Project As Wasteful, Corrupt

Obasanjo Slams Lagos-Calabar Highway Project As Wasteful, Corrupt

6 months ago
Freedom After 4-Years, Court Acquits 6 #EndSARS Protesters

Fuel Importation: Tinubu’s Economic Adviser Seeks N20bn in Libel Suits

1 year ago

FOLLOW US

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Style
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Health
  • Interview
  • Love & Relationships
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Uncategorized

BROWSE BY TOPICS

#EndBadGovernance protest 2027 Elections ADC Ademola Adeleke Akpabio Alaafin Of Oyo APC Atiku Bola Tinubu Buhari By-Elections CBEX Coalition Dangote Refinery Defection Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Economic Hardship EFCC Emergency Rule Federal Government of Nigeria Fubara Fuel Price Fuel Price Hike Gunmen INEC JAMB Natasha Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) Nnamdi Kanu NNPC NNPCL NYSC Olubadan PDP Peter Obi President Ahmed Bola Tinubu Rivers Administrator Rivers Assembly Rivers Crisis Senate Tinubu UTME VeryDarkMan WAEC Wike

POPULAR NEWS

  • Congo’s President Daughter’s Bedroom Surfaces Online

    Congo’s President Daughter’s Bedroom Surfaces Online

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Economy Bleeds As Naira Hits Record Low With N72.58 Depreiciation Against Dollar

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Old Naira Notes Remain Valid – CBN

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Gospel Actress, Flora Of Abattoir Movie Series Is Dead

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: FCT Minister Wike Leads Eid-El-Fitr Homage To President Tinubu Amid Death Rumors

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
The Reflector Newspaper

Our mission at The Reflector Newspaper is to cultivate a dynamic digital space where truth, integrity, and diversity thrive.

Follow us on social media:

Recent News

  • Obi Faults FG Over Hike In International Passport Fees
  • NLC Demands N150,000 Minimum Wage For Lagos Workers
  • PDP Considering Jonathan, Obi For 2027 Presidential Ticket – Bala Mohammed
  • NNPC Was Losing N500m Monthly At PH Refinery When I Took Over – Ojulari

Category

  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Style
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Health
  • Interview
  • Love & Relationships
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Uncategorized

Recent News

Obi Faults FG Over Hike In International Passport Fees

Obi Faults FG Over Hike In International Passport Fees

August 29, 2025
BREAKING: New Minimum Wage Payment Begins From July 29 – FG

NLC Demands N150,000 Minimum Wage For Lagos Workers

August 29, 2025
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

Copyright © 2024 The Reflector Newspaper. Website designed by Mavens Designs.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Sport
  • Crime
  • Others
    • Education
    • Economy
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion & Style
    • Health
    • Interview
    • Love & Relationships
    • Technology

Copyright © 2024 The Reflector Newspaper. Website designed by Mavens Designs.

Verified by MonsterInsights