Bodija Residents Decry Delay In Explosion Relief Fund – The Reflector Newspaper
Saturday, August 30, 2025
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
The Reflector Newspaper
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Sport
  • Crime
  • Others
    • Education
    • Economy
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion & Style
    • Health
    • Interview
    • Love & Relationships
    • Technology
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
The Reflector Newspaper
Home Featured

Bodija Residents Decry Delay In Explosion Relief Fund

Victor Okebunmi by Victor Okebunmi
May 13, 2025
in Featured, News
0
Bodija Residents Decry Delay In Explosion Relief Fund
0
SHARES
3
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on WhatsAppShare on TelegramSend to Email

 

Members of the Bodija Estate Residents Association (BERA) and victims of the January 16, 2024, explosion have lamented government negligence, denying they received any money from the state government.

Related posts

2027: Jonathan Keeps Mum As Northern Opposition Intensifies Pressure

ADC Woos Jonathan For 2027 Race

August 30, 2025
NEITI Backs Ojulari To Deliver Oil Sector Reforms

NEITI Backs Ojulari To Deliver Oil Sector Reforms

August 29, 2025

The explosion claimed five lives and destroyed over 77 buildings on Adeyi Avenue, Bodija, Ibadan, Oyo State.The victims and the Chairman of BERA, Pastor Muyiwa Bamgbose, disclosed during a community meeting at Oba Olagbegi Street, Old Bodija, Ibadan, that members have yet to receive any form of government assistance.

“We are complaining because some paid N4 million to rent a house, others N9 million, while some could not afford to rent a house and are squatting at old age,” Bamgbose said.
“I was on the committee, and we submitted our report about three months ago; that was the middle of February 26, 2025. Afterwards, nothing has been heard about the committee report.

“We are begging the government because we are powerless. There is no election around the corner. People need some help. Let us have something for now that we can live with.”
Corroborating, another resident and Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Dipo Olasope, said that when he was interviewed on a radio programme around February 26, 2025, about the plight of the victims, he complained bitterly that people had not been paid.

According to him, the Commissioner for Information, Prince Dotun Oyelade, who was also on the programme, promised that they would be paid within two weeks, but to date, no money has been disbursed.

On her part, Mrs Gloria Olanipekun said, “Nothing has been heard about it so far.”
Reacting, the Deputy Governor, Adebayo Lawal, who headed the committee, stated that considerations for payment had reached an advanced stage, in line with the recommendations made by the committee set up to look into the matter.

Lawal assured them that Governor Seyi Makinde’s administration would soon conclude all modalities to provide succour to the victims.
“The committee, which I chaired, recommended N4.83 billion. We have submitted the report to the governor, and he has accepted it. But the amount was not budgeted for. We can’t just dip our hands into the account to withdraw money. I know how the government runs.

“It behooves us to look at the legal and financial implications of the amount. The governor is not reducing it by a kobo. We are doing this on compassionate grounds. But it has to be well appropriated. We are trying to do it in accordance with the law,” Lawal explained.

The deputy governor also recalled that the state government had done much for the victims.
“No one expected an explosion of that magnitude.

 

The government has done a lot for the victims. They stayed in hotels for about a year. We are repairing all the roads in the area. We feel obligated to come to the rescue of the victims,” he said. Lawal urged the victims not to blackmail a compassionate government that is ready to provide them with succour.

 

Guardian

The Reflector Newspaper's newsletters cover a variety of topics, from daily news to lifestyle content, markets info to medical news. Subscribe to get the latest information.

Unsubscribe
Previous Post

Defections Won’t Save APC from Internal Collapse — PDP’s Ologbondiyan

Next Post

AIG Convenes Emergency Meeting As Terrorists Kill Four In Borno

Next Post
AIG Convenes Emergency Meeting As Terrorists Kill Four In Borno

AIG Convenes Emergency Meeting As Terrorists Kill Four In Borno

RECOMMENDED NEWS

Why Independence Bridge Was Closed – Sanwo-Olu

Why Independence Bridge Was Closed – Sanwo-Olu

5 months ago

I Respect Court’s Rule To Invalidate Election, Says Kenyan President

8 years ago
Military Laments Pending Request For Metering Of Crude Oil Pipelines

Military Laments Pending Request For Metering Of Crude Oil Pipelines

1 year ago
FUOYE Students Get ₦140m Loan From NELFUND

FUOYE Students Get ₦140m Loan From NELFUND

7 months ago

FOLLOW US

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Style
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Health
  • Interview
  • Love & Relationships
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Uncategorized

BROWSE BY TOPICS

#EndBadGovernance protest 2027 Elections ADC Ademola Adeleke Akpabio Alaafin Of Oyo APC Atiku Bola Tinubu Buhari By-Elections CBEX Coalition Dangote Refinery Defection Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Economic Hardship EFCC Emergency Rule Federal Government of Nigeria Fubara Fuel Price Fuel Price Hike Gunmen INEC JAMB Natasha Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) Nnamdi Kanu NNPC NNPCL NYSC Olubadan PDP Peter Obi President Ahmed Bola Tinubu Rivers Administrator Rivers Assembly Rivers Crisis Senate Tinubu UTME VeryDarkMan WAEC Wike

POPULAR NEWS

  • Congo’s President Daughter’s Bedroom Surfaces Online

    Congo’s President Daughter’s Bedroom Surfaces Online

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Economy Bleeds As Naira Hits Record Low With N72.58 Depreiciation Against Dollar

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Old Naira Notes Remain Valid – CBN

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Gospel Actress, Flora Of Abattoir Movie Series Is Dead

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: FCT Minister Wike Leads Eid-El-Fitr Homage To President Tinubu Amid Death Rumors

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
The Reflector Newspaper

Our mission at The Reflector Newspaper is to cultivate a dynamic digital space where truth, integrity, and diversity thrive.

Follow us on social media:

Recent News

  • ADC Woos Jonathan For 2027 Race
  • NEITI Backs Ojulari To Deliver Oil Sector Reforms
  • Edo NDLEA Decorates 7 Deputy Commanders 
  • Delta Deputy Speaker Criticizes Oil Firms For Ignoring Meeting

Category

  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Style
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Health
  • Interview
  • Love & Relationships
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Uncategorized

Recent News

2027: Jonathan Keeps Mum As Northern Opposition Intensifies Pressure

ADC Woos Jonathan For 2027 Race

August 30, 2025
NEITI Backs Ojulari To Deliver Oil Sector Reforms

NEITI Backs Ojulari To Deliver Oil Sector Reforms

August 29, 2025
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

Copyright © 2024 The Reflector Newspaper. Website designed by Mavens Designs.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Sport
  • Crime
  • Others
    • Education
    • Economy
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion & Style
    • Health
    • Interview
    • Love & Relationships
    • Technology

Copyright © 2024 The Reflector Newspaper. Website designed by Mavens Designs.

Verified by MonsterInsights