Togolese Demands Resignation Of President Gnassingbe – The Reflector Newspaper
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
The Reflector Newspaper
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Sport
  • Crime
  • Others
    • Education
    • Economy
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion & Style
    • Health
    • Interview
    • Love & Relationships
    • Technology
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
The Reflector Newspaper
Home Foreign News

Togolese Demands Resignation Of President Gnassingbe

Adams Bamidele by Adams Bamidele
September 7, 2017
in Foreign News
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on WhatsAppShare on TelegramSend to Email

Togo’s opposition chief called on Wednesday for the immediate resignation of President Faure Gnassingbe, the current head of a half century-old political dynasty, rejecting a government move to introduce term limits as protests gained momentum.

Tens of thousands of protesters clad in red, orange and pink – the colors of Togo’s opposition parties – marched through the streets of the capital Lome as security forces looked on, a Reuters witness said. Some carried banners bearing slogans including “Free Togo” and “Faure resign”.

Related posts

Japan Deny Plans To Create Special Visas For Skilled Nigerians

Japan Deny Plans To Create Special Visas For Skilled Nigerians

August 26, 2025
Outrage As Badenoch Proposes 15-yr-wait For British Citizenship

I’m Under Attack Over My Race And Ethnicity – Kemi Badenoch

August 24, 2025

Gnassingbe has ruled the West African nation since his father died in 2005 after 38 years in power. The late President Gnassingbe Eyadema passed a law in 1992 limiting the president to two terms in power, only to scrap it a decade later.

Togo’s cabinet on Tuesday adopted a draft bill to bring back the term limits, the government announced in a statement. But the decision did little to satisfy an increasingly rejuvenated opposition.

Speaking before a crowd of thousands of protesters in central Lome, Jean-Pierre Fabre, the head of the main ANC opposition party, said: “We will march again tomorrow. Faure should talk to us about the conditions for his departure. The (draft) law on mandates comes too late.”

Residents said similar protests were underway in Sokode, 340 km (210 miles) north of the coastal capital, as well as several other towns.

A number of long-serving African rulers, notably in Rwanda, Burundi and Burkina Faso, have moved to drop term limits in recent years in order to remain in power. In some cases this has sparked strong opposition that has led to violent unrest.

However, unlike marches last month during which at least two protesters were killed by security forces, there was no sign of violence by early afternoon on Wednesday.

Togo, which aspires to become an African Dubai and hosts the headquarters of pan-African lender Ecobank and other major firms, has a history of repression. Around 500 people were killed during protests against the current leader’s 2005 poll victory.

But the move to reintroduce a two-term limit could represent an important volte-face by the president, whose government in 2015 voted against the introduction of regional term limits across the ECOWAS 15-nation zone which he currently chairs.

“(I) deplore the serious incidents in Sokode and Lome during the protests of 19 August and call upon the people to exercise calm, serenity and moderation,” Gnassingbe said in a statement released on Wednesday. He also pledged to improve living conditions in the country of nearly 8 million people.

It was not immediately known when the bill approved by the cabinet will be presented to parliament. Nor was it clear how the proposed change to article 59 of the constitution would affect Gnassingbe, who is now serving a third mandate which ends in 2020.

Government critics accused authorities of cutting mobile internet access on Wednesday in a move they said mirrored cuts imposed by other African incumbents, such as Gabon’s Ali Bongo, to control criticism at sensitive times.

However, the main internet gateway remained operational according to Dyn which monitors global internet traffic. A government official could not immediately be reached for comment.

The Reflector Newspaper's newsletters cover a variety of topics, from daily news to lifestyle content, markets info to medical news. Subscribe to get the latest information.

Unsubscribe
Previous Post

Del Potro Knocks Out Federer

Next Post

Manchester City Owners May Sue Over ‘Financial Doping’ Comments

Next Post

Manchester City Owners May Sue Over 'Financial Doping' Comments

RECOMMENDED NEWS

Amaechi Embarks On Monthly Monitor Of Rail Project

8 years ago

Brexit: We’re Off EU Court’s Jurisdiction, Says British PM

8 years ago

How Wike, Fayose Hijacked Anambra PDP – Linus Ukachukwu

8 years ago

2019: Governors, Ministers Want Buhari To Contest

8 years ago

FOLLOW US

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Style
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Health
  • Interview
  • Love & Relationships
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Uncategorized

BROWSE BY TOPICS

#EndBadGovernance protest 2027 Elections ADC Ademola Adeleke Akpabio Alaafin Of Oyo APC Atiku Bola Tinubu Buhari By-Elections CBEX Coalition Dangote Refinery Defection Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Economic Hardship EFCC Emergency Rule Federal Government of Nigeria Fubara Fuel Price Fuel Price Hike Gunmen INEC JAMB Natasha Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) Nnamdi Kanu NNPC NNPCL NYSC Olubadan PDP Peter Obi President Ahmed Bola Tinubu Rivers Administrator Rivers Assembly Rivers Crisis Senate Tinubu UTME VeryDarkMan WAEC Wike

POPULAR NEWS

  • Congo’s President Daughter’s Bedroom Surfaces Online

    Congo’s President Daughter’s Bedroom Surfaces Online

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Economy Bleeds As Naira Hits Record Low With N72.58 Depreiciation Against Dollar

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Old Naira Notes Remain Valid – CBN

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Gospel Actress, Flora Of Abattoir Movie Series Is Dead

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: FCT Minister Wike Leads Eid-El-Fitr Homage To President Tinubu Amid Death Rumors

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
The Reflector Newspaper

Our mission at The Reflector Newspaper is to cultivate a dynamic digital space where truth, integrity, and diversity thrive.

Follow us on social media:

Recent News

  • NEITI Backs Ojulari To Deliver Oil Sector Reforms
  • Edo NDLEA Decorates 7 Deputy Commanders 
  • Delta Deputy Speaker Criticizes Oil Firms For Ignoring Meeting
  • Former Super Eagles Striker Ujah Retires From Football

Category

  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Style
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Health
  • Interview
  • Love & Relationships
  • News
  • Opinions
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Uncategorized

Recent News

NEITI Backs Ojulari To Deliver Oil Sector Reforms

NEITI Backs Ojulari To Deliver Oil Sector Reforms

August 29, 2025
Edo NDLEA Decorates 7 Deputy Commanders 

Edo NDLEA Decorates 7 Deputy Commanders 

August 29, 2025
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

Copyright © 2024 The Reflector Newspaper. Website designed by Mavens Designs.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Featured
  • Foreign News
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Sport
  • Crime
  • Others
    • Education
    • Economy
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion & Style
    • Health
    • Interview
    • Love & Relationships
    • Technology

Copyright © 2024 The Reflector Newspaper. Website designed by Mavens Designs.

Verified by MonsterInsights